This weekend, on our way home from Mt. Baker we stopped at a Christmas tree farm to select our first Christmas tree. We searched and searched for the perfect tree…it had to be the right size, a nice even shape and a deep green color. In the end, we went with a grand fir, and today we decorated her. Not too shabby for our first tree, eh? I LOVE CHRISTMAS TREES! If I had more space and $$, I’d have one for every room in the house!
Posts Tagged ‘holidays
I know this is going to be a huge shocker to everyone, but I love Thanksgiving. It is my favorite holiday of the year. Good food, family, no gift-buying pressure, cooking and relaxing all day, quality time, board games, leftovers…I love it all. This year, we’re spending the holiday with Derek’s family. Every couple years we go away with his family and rent a house in the mountains. It’s so much fun and I’m really looking forward to it!
There are a lot of things that the younger generation has mastered, but Xmas music is NOT one of them. Case and point. Today on my way to work I heard a Christmas song that made me cringe.
I’d rather be hangin alone
Than makin out with Emma Stone
Yeah Id rather get a subpoena
Than kick it with Angelina
Yeah I’ll probably shed a few tears
If you mess up and send Britney Spears
So Santa for my gift, please send me Taylor Swift
This is a Christmas song?!?! Give me a break. Turns out it’s called “Merry Swiftmas” by Evan Taubenfeld (whoever that is). Sorry Evan, it sucks and unfortunately there is a lot of competition in this arena. Frank Sinatra, Judy Garland, Bing Crosby, Nat King Cole, Ella Fitzgerald, etc. I wish all the crappy new Christmas music created in the last decade would go away. I’ll take the classics.
This time of year, I thought everyone might need a few gift ideas for the people on their list. Here are a couple good ones. Happy Holidays!
- Derek gave me a digital frame for my birthday. I absolutely love it. It’s in my office and I have received tons of compliments on it already.
- I think a great gift idea for anyone is personalized stationary. Great for a man or a woman!
- My coworker is making her girlfriends homemade infused vodka and I think it’s a great idea! Want a citrus flavored vodka? Add lemons or limes! Want a fruity vodka? Just add fresh cranberries! Want a spicy vodka for Bloody Marys? Add peppers and jalapenos! Or do all three for a sassy trifecta!
- I think board games make great gifts! Everyone likes to have a good collection and it’s something you don’t usually think to buy yourself. Some of my personal favorites: scrabble, cranium, party playoff (I’ve only played it once), true colors, cribbage.
- Magazine Subscriptions – This is one of my staple gifts. I can’t tell you how many magazine subscriptions I’ve given away in my life. It’s the gift that keeps on giving!
- Make a fun, personalized gift basket (shout out to Kristina on this idea). You can make tons of different Gift Baskets ranging in price. Here are a couple of suggestions:
- Games gift basket filled with cards, dice, poker chips, board games, etc.
- Book gift basket filled with your favorite books
- Cooking gift basket filled with utensils, spices, cookbooks, recipes, etc. Get creative and use a big mixing bowl or a strainer for the container.
- Wine and Cheese gift basket filled with different wines, cheese, cheese knifes, cutting boards, cheese slicer, etc.
- Date night basket filled with a box of chocolates, a bottle of wine, movie tickets, restaurant gift card, condoms (just kidding – gotcha)!
- Reusable shopping bags – they make some pretty cute ones now and it’s great for the environment. Double the fun!
…to make hot buttered rum! I made some this weekend and it is DELICIOUS. The great thing about this recipe is that it’s easy to make and one batch will last you through the winter. Seriously, just make it. You won’t be sorry.
This recipe is great with and without rum. It’s also tastes wonderful in coffee.
Hot Buttered Rum Batter
1 pound butter
1 pound brown sugar
1 pound powdered sugar
1 quart vanilla ice cream, softened
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Ok, I didn’t say it was healthy.
Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar and powdered sugar. Remove from heat, and whisk in the ice cream, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Pour mixture into a container, seal, and freeze. Store in the freezer. When you are ready for a cup, just scoop out what you need (like ice cream) and put the remaining back in the freezer.
In a coffee mug, measure 2 tablespoons Hot Buttered Rum Batter and 1 fluid ounce of dark rum, then fill cup with boiling water. Stir. Drink. Relax. Enjoy.