I thought I’d give a little update on our workout game. It’s been 4 weeks, and so far I’ve only had to put $5 in the pot! I feel pretty good about that.
Posts Tagged ‘gym
A few work friends and I are starting a 3 month workout incentive program that we invented called, “Four days or else you’ll pay”. This program is designed to push us into working out that fourth day. As many of you know, working out three days per week is pretty easy. But working out that fourth day is really, really hard.
Here’s how it works. From now until August 1st, each of us has to work out four days per week. We keep track by using stickers on a calendar….because really, who doesn’t love stickers?!? At the end of the week, we each owe $5 for every day we didn’t workout four times. For example, if I only exercised three times during the week, I’d owe $5 to the pot. If I didn’t workout at all during the week, I’d owe $20. We collect the money weekly and at the end of it, we celebrate together (with drinks and food of course…we have to negate all that exercising)!
Today marked the end of our first week, and I’m proud to say that I’m rocking four stickers!
The results are in! As you may remember, I signed up for personal training a few months ago. It turns out my hard work is paying off. I’ve been at it for about 10 weeks (although there was a 2-3 week break in there due to vacation and being sick). Last week was measurement week.
Waste: slimmed down by 1.5”
Thighs: slimmed down by 1” on each
Arms: slimmed down by 0.5” on each
Chest: slimmed down by 1” (I’m not that excited about this one)
And lost 7 lbs!
Stan (my sis): What are you up to today?
Me: Not much. I started my first personal training session today.
Stan: Oh really? I didn’t know you were doing that. That’s cool.
Me: Yeah, I’m also going through a bunch of photos from college to find “skinny Kindra” photos. I’m posting them all over my apartment with a note that says “Go to the gym!” It’s to remind myself how great I can look.
Stan: Uh, that sounds like a really great way to develop an eating disorder.
Me: Perfect; that sure would make it easier!
Ok, not really; I was kidding about the eating disorder. But, I have enrolled myself in personal training and I did pull out the photos. I’m trying to mix-up my workout and stay motivated. It’s hard. I’m not fat, and in reality I’m not even sure I’m classified as “over-weight”. Regardless, I’m not happy with my body right now and it’s been monopolizing a lot of my brain power and energy lately.
The overly self-confident feminist side of me hates that I’m doing this. I don’t want to be that girl that focuses on weight and outward appearances. It’s just annoying to be that person. I should focus on the things that are truly important in life – not weight. I feel like I owe it to all the women and young girls of the world to accept the body I’ve been given and to project a healthy self-imagine.
However, the other side of me (the hard-working, go-getter) is urging me to stop wasting time and get to the gym! Stop thinking about how you aren’t happy and DO something about it. You’ll look (and more importantly) feel better. This is just another goal to be reached. Set the objective, develop a plan of attack…and then attack!
Deep down though, I know I can have it all. The two “sides of me” that I’ve described aren’t mutually exclusive. I can be both! And so, I’ve started the personal training. Ultimately, I believe that when you holistically feel better about yourself (in all areas of life), you are more productive, creative and balanced. I’m hoping I can come to some peace with this whole body image thing and MOVE ON to bigger and better goals. But, for now you can find me at the gym!
PS – I would like to point out that this struggle was made harder yesterday when Derek announced he was embarking on 4,500 calories per day diet to gain weight. Awesome.
I’m too tired to write a super thoughtful and in-depth post – but I’m feeling really guilty for being blogsent (get it? Blog-absent! I just made that up!) the last couple days. So, here’s a random update.
- Wednesday Night Dinners – Since it’s rainy and gloomy out, we decided to start “Wednesday Night Dinners” with Stacy and Andre. So far, it’s been really great; it gives us something to look forward to in the middle of the week. Last week they made pot roast, and this week we made French dips.
- Gym – My AM gym sessions have been going reasonable well. I went Monday and Tuesday, but I couldn’t drag myself out of bed this morning. I’ll hit it hard tomorrow…hopefully.
- Prop 8 – I’m absolutely sick about Proposition 8 in CA. People, we have to progress FORWARD. Not backwards. I do not understand how anyone feels it is within their rights to ban someone else from marriage. GAH! On the other hand, congrats to Connecticut.
- Soup – Derek and I have been making a new soups on Sundays. So far, we’ve made a mushroom barely soup and chili. I’m open to suggestions if anyone has a good soup recipe!
- Thanksgiving – I’m really looking forward to Thanksgiving. This year, I’m spending Thanksgiving with Derek’s family (plus all four girlfriends) at a cabin on Mt. Baker. Good food, board games, puzzles, football, drinks and family – what more could a girl ask for?!?
- Tonight – I made some BOMB Chicken Massaman Curry tonight, although I had a hard time eating it because my mouth was still numb from my visit to the dentist. I had a cavity filled this afternoon. In two weeks, I get to pay $600 out of pocket for a crown – JUST what I wanted to spend my money on. My teeth suck.
- Perfect home – Today I stumbled on the most perfect home for me and Derek…then reality set in. Unfortunately, we just aren’t in a position to buy anything right now. We both agreed it was perfect for us though.
- Apology – I couldn’t quite bring myself to take a gift to my landlord (like the poll said), but I did apologize via email. This was his response, “…but you provided so much entertainment! Be sure to put new Year’s eve on your crashing calendar 🙂 It is not to be missed. Classy attire.” I’m glad he had a good sense of humor about the whole thing.
I think that’s it. Over and out.
Last week, the impossible happened. I actually dragged my sorry butt out of bed at 5:30 to go to the gym before work. My goal was to go Monday – Friday for 45 minutes, and I only made it 3 days. I only have 45 minutes to work out in the morning, so I feel like I have to go 5 days a week. Regardless of missing my 5-day goal, I’m still extremely proud of myself. To be honest, it’s really not that bad and I absolutely love not having to worry about it the rest of the day. No talking myself in and out of working out 14 times; no getting home from the gym at 7:45 pm; no feeling guilty when I opt-out. It’s awesome! However, it does mean getting to bed early. No more late nights for me.
Hopefully I can make it 5-days this week. Fingers crossed!
Greetings loyal bloggees! I’d like to introduce you to my two new blog pages (upper right hand corner in blue): books and gym. I decided to delete my “bookclub” page because it wasn’t very exciting (don’t get me wrong ladies – I love y’all and I have a great time at “bookclub”, but as a whole we are better at drinking than reading)! I still need to write reviews on Water for Elephants and The Story of Edgar Sawtelle. And I guess I need to start going to the gym!