As you know, I go to Alaska a lot. I’d say I’ve spent a decent amount of time in Alaska. So when Derek told me he wanted to go on an Alaska cruise, I was a tad hesitant. I spend so much time in Alaska, and I just wasn’t sure it would feel like a vacation. BUT, I rarely go to southeast Alaska (I spend most of my time in the interior) and have never cruised Alaska. So, I agreed.
It was AMAZING and it far exceeded my expectations. Honest Abe. Calling all Seattleites, if you’re looking for a scenic, beautiful, relaxing, easy vacation, you really should consider a roundtrip Seattle Alaska cruise. No joke, at 11am we were in our house, and by 1pm we were admiring Seattle from our stateroom balcony. It’s unlike any cruise I’ve ever done before – VERY DIFFERENT from a warm weather cruise. In fact, Derek said it was his favorite cruise ever (and he’s been on 5 or 6 cruises). I won’t bore you with all the details but I do have a few tips:
1) I know it’s impossible to predict, but PRAY for nice weather! It makes a big difference in the amount of scenery you’ll see from the ship.
2) For a scenic cruising destination like Alaska, you really need to buck up for the balcony room. You won’t be sorry. Every morning we’d order room service coffee and pastries and sit out on our balcony and enjoy the views. It was amazing. We must have seen 30 whales from our balcony and glaciers galore! Trust me on this one.
3) If possible, choose an itinerary that includes Glacier Bay National Park. There is limited entry into Glacier Bay so not everybody gets to go there.
4) Choose excursions that you couldn’t/wouldn’t do normally. For example, we did a helicopter glacier landing in Skagway and it was one of the coolest things I’ve EVER done. In another port, we went fishing. It was fun, but I’ve been salmon fishing before. For someone else, salmon fishing may be super exotic and a once in a lifetime opportunity. Choose something amazing and spend your money there.
5) Eat in the dining rooms. The buffet is ok, but the dining room is MUCH better. Also, spend the extra money and experience a couple of the specialty restaurants. Yes, I know that you don’t have to, but in my opinion it’s worth it.
Here are a few photos for your viewing pleasure!