Archive for May, 2008
I am not one of those girls that constantly obsesses about their weight (in fact I’m usually overly confident), but lately I haven’t been feeling my best. My body type doesn’t take well to gaining a few pounds. I’m short, so five pounds is really noticeable on me. Not to mention that I have the shortest legs EVER – and a crazy-long torso. I swear my torso is longer than my legs. WEIRD.
I’m not complaining about my body – all things considered, I think I’m pretty lucky. But, I do know that this body of mine has looked better, and with summer coming up, I’ve got to get it back into prime shape. Truth be told, there are a few upcoming summer events that I want to look good for. I’m hoping that by posting “my plan” here, it will force me to be more committed. I’m going to incorporate a few small changes that will hopefully have an impact. Here’s my plan:
– No more buying chips. For those of you who know me – you know this will be hard. Salt is my weakness. If you put a piece of cake and a bag of chips in front of me, I’d go for the chips every time. Now, I’m not saying I can never have another chip – that’s impossible – but I am saying it won’t be a regular occurrence and I won’t be buying them.
– Work out four times a week. I’ve been pretty lax about the gym lately (2-3x per week) – but I’ve got to step-it-up if I want to see results.
– Incorporate resistance training/weight lifting into my workout. Usually, I complete my cardio workout and then leave. In order to tone up, I’ve got to get in the habit of doing the “other” stuff too.
– Water, water and more water. I drink a lot of water already, but there is always room for improvement.
– Think twice. Just be smart about what do and don’t eat. Smaller portions. Less eating out. There’s nothing revolutionary about it.
How will I know if I’ve been successful? Well, I don’t own a scale, so I’ll just have to see how I feel and how my pants (or bridesmaid dress) fit. Wish me luck!
Tonight, I came home to a wonderful treat. Derek cooked up a fantastic dinner for me. He is a great cook and a top-notch griller. Tonight was no exception.
Drink: A cold gin & tonic
Appetizer: Cougar Gold Cheese and Rice Crackers
Main Course: Ginger – Soy Flank Steak atop Grilled Green Onions
Side Dishes: Sautéed Baby Bok Choy and Horseradish Mashed Potatoes
I’m stuffed – it was delicious. And to top it off – the meal was mostly fresh and/or locally grown. The Cougar Gold was produced in Pullman, Washington. The Flank Steak was bought from a local butcher on Queen Anne – the beef was raised in Oregon. The green onions, ginger, garlic, lime, bok choy and the potatoes were all purchased at Pike Place Market. We are about to start a movie – but he tells me there is dessert too. Life is good!
I am happy to announce that I will be starting a new and exciting job in June! In my effort not to talk about work on my blog, I won’t name the company, but I will share a few details. The position is a complete departure from what I’ve been doing (advertising) and is focused on product management. I will be a Product Development Manager and will manage 25-30 products for a company in the travel industry.
I am VERY excited about this new role and about the change in industry. Advertising has felt meaningless to me for awhile now, and I’ve been struggling with how to change-it-up. Those of you who have worked in ad agencies before know the drill. The people are great and the culture is fun….BUT it’s really hard work – with a high burnout rate. You live and die by your clients (even if they are wrong) and you are in a constant state of feast or famine. Either you have too much work to do or the agency doesn’t have enough work and you are throwing yourself at every RFP that comes your way. I’ve been doing it for 4 years now, and I’m ready for a change.
I know the new gig won’t be perfect and it certainly won’t be easy. But I’m ready for a new challenge. Did I mention I’ll have an office on the 26th floor?!?! I’M SO EXCITED!
Many of you already know this, but for those of you that don’t, my sister is dating Derek’s brother. Yes, we are dating brothers – I know, I know…it’s like Darlene and Becky on Rosanne.
Derek and I have been dating for many, many years (almost seven). He is close with his family – and I am close with mine. Over the years, we have grown very attached to the other’s family. I know it sounds cliché, but I think of his family as mine. I love his parents and adore his brothers. They’ve become a big part of my life. As you can imagine, it felt weird and incestuous when one of them started dating my sister.
They have been dating for over two years now. When it first happened, I thought it was funny; I laughed it off. I thought it wouldn’t last, but it soon became apparent that it wasn’t just a fling. I’m embarrassed to say that I began feeling very weird about it. I was so conflicted. On the one hand, I was thrilled that they were both happy. On the other hand, I felt cheated. I lost part of my sister. I couldn’t talk to her about “sisterly things” because I was nervous she would tell him. Plus they were constantly encroaching on my space. They were everywhere. At Derek’s parent’s house – they were there. At my parent’s house – they were there. Holidays. Birthdays. Parties. You name it – they were there. Were they trying to be us? For a long time, I felt conflicted and confused. I constantly had this pang of guilt for being selfish. They were happy, how could I be so self-centered?
I’m proud to announce that I’m officially ok with it. I’m not even sure when it happened – but I am. Today, I was watching them interact and they seem so happy – it warmed my heart. I’m realizing all of the positive things that come with it. My sis and I always get to spend holidays together. She understands Derek’s family dynamics. And most importantly, they are both happy and in love.
Ultimately, I’m not sure what will happen with them – only time will tell. But, I can tell you that it feels great to have that monkey off my back. Hooray!
Kathryn emailed me this questionnaire. I thought I’d post it – feel free to respond or do it yourself and post as a comment. My responses are below in italics.
Welcome to the 2008 edition of getting to know your Friends. Change all the answers so they apply to you, and then send this to your friends including the person who sent it to you. The theory is that you will learn a lot of little things about your friends that you might not have known!
The only reason I’m doing this is because I’ve had a crazy work week and I’m totally brain dead. It’s a nice break.
1. What time did you get up this morning? 7:45.
2. Diamonds or pearls? Duh – Diamonds
3. What was the last film you saw at the cinema? Horton Hears a Who (with Sydney)
4. What is your favorite TV show? Brothers and Sisters or Top Chef
5. What do you usually have for breakfast? Coffee and apple
6. What is your middle name? Marie – BORING. Although when I was born it was Lee. By the time my parents got home from the hospital they realized that it was a little strange to be named Kindra Lee Brownlee. So they changed it to Marie.
7. What food do you dislike? Watermelon. It tastes like car sickness.
8. What is your favorite CD at moment? The mixed CD Derek burned for me.
9. What kind of car do you drive? Honda Accord.
10. Favorite sandwich? I’m not a huge sandwich eater. I prefer soup and salad.
11. What characteristic do you despise? There are so many – it’s hard to pick one. I guess Ignorance.
12. Favorite item of clothing? I have no clue – I hate all my clothes.
13. If you could go anywhere in the world on vacation, where would you go? Greece.
14. Favorite brand of clothing? Who cares.
15. Where would you retire to? Wow, I have no idea about a location. Somewhere near my family, in a home that has a big kitchen for entertaining, a large deck or patio for morning coffee or evening drinks, and a nice yard. Oh, and a big bathtub!
16. What was your most recent memorable birthday? My last birthday I was in Vegas with my USD girls. Miss you guys!
17. Favorite sport to watch? Football – although I like going to baseball games when it’s sunny.
18. Furthest place you are sending this? San Diego.
19. Person you expect to send it back first? NO clue.
20. Your shoe size? 7 or 7.5
21. When is your birthday? November 30
22. Are you a morning person or a night person? I’m a day person. I can be a little grumpy in the mornings and I don’t stay up all that late anymore.
24. Pets? Nope. I don’t think I would be a good pet owner. I like people.
25. Any new and exciting news you’d like to share with us? Derek moved in!
26. What did you want to be when you were little? I wanted to be a news anchor (Katie Couric) all the way up through high school. When I got into college I realized that was a stupid idea.
27. How are you today? Pretty good! It’s been a rough week – but I’m feeling much better today.
28. What is your favorite candy? Gummies.
29. What is your favorite flower? I don’t think I have one. I like the big bouquets at Pike Place Market – fresh, colorful and many varieties.
30. What is a day on the calendar you are looking forward to? I have so much to look forward to this summer: Stacy’s Wedding, Stacy Bachelorette Party, Brad’s wedding at Lake Las Vegas, Camping, Backpacking and hopefully some time up at the lake house.
32. What is your full name? Kindra Marie Brownlee
33. What are you listening to right now? My coworker Dave talking on the phone to a media rep.
34. What was the last thing you ate? I’m too embarrassed to tell. Ok fine. Tater Tots.
35. Do you wish on stars? Absolutely. I also make wishes when all the digits on a clock are the same number – for example 11:11. I start wishing like crazy – but if it changes to 11:12 in the middle of wishing it doesn’t come true. So you can’t get too greedy – I get greedy a lot. That’s probably why I still haven’t won Mega Millions. Although, I’m positive I will win someday.
36. If you were a crayon, what color would you be? Is this the standard 8 pack of crayons? Or the fancy 54 pack? If it’s standard I suppose I’d pick red.
37. How is the weather right now? Overcast.
38. Last person you spoke to on the phone? Derek.
39. Favorite soft drink? Diet Coke – although I don’t drink it very often. When I was a kid, I loved grape soda.
40. What is your favorite restaurant? OMG – I can’t answer this question. Way too hard.
41. Hair color? Blonde/Brown.
42. What was your favorite toy as a child? I had toys, but I’m not sure I ever played with them. I can’t picture it.
43. Summer or winter? SUMMER
44. Hugs or kisses? Depends on who they are from. But I would say hugs as a general rule. There are exceptions (Derek).
45. Chocolate or Vanilla? Vanilla.
46. Coffee or tea? Both.
47. Do you want your friends to email you back? Yes, I do.
48. When was the last time you cried? I’m not even kidding; I was watching Saved by the Bell this morning as I was getting ready for work. It was the episode where Zack has knee surgery and he’s scared and Lisa Turtle comforts him. It made me tear up. She was so sweet.
49. What is under your bed? Three of those plastic storage containers. I bought them the other day to make room for Derek. My apartment is about 650 square feet – it’s a tight fit.
50. What did you do last night? Sat in 520 traffic on my way home from Microsoft and then relaxed all evening.
51. What are you afraid of? Friend and family dying.
52. Salty or sweet? Salty.
53. How many keys on your key ring? Probably 6.
54. How many years at your current job? 10 months.
55. Favorite day of the week? Friday.
56. How many towns have you lived in? 6
57. Do you make friends easily? I think so. I’m easy to get along with.
58. How many people will you send this to? I don’t know.
59. How many will respond? Depends on who is busy at work right now.